It's hip to be square . . .

Today's "Ways to Use It" challenge was to make a square card. Well, I made three! I needed three cards to send and I don't know what else to say except that I was inspired I guess! This first card is a sympathy card for a fellow Splitcoaster, who lost her mother to cancer this past weekend. I was in her shoes about two years ago, so I know what she must be going through! {{{hugs}}} Julia! I hope this card brings you some comfort at this difficult time! I knew I wanted to use my new Artful Inkables calla lily (available at www.starvingartistamps.com). I stamped it in black StazOn ink on watercolor paper, and added the sentiment from the Brighter Tomorrow set. I watercolored the image using celery and saffron inks and my aquapainter. I matted the main image panel onto black cs after notching the corners using my 1/4" inch circle punch to create a faux ticket corner look. Next I added a piece of celery ds paper from the Palette O' Prints on top of a So Saffron card base and notched the corners with my 1/4" circle punch. I added some clack brads in the corners. Finally I added two pieces of black dotted organdy ribbon.

For the next card, I knew I wanted to use the Pick a Petal stamp set. I started by stamping the smile petal in black StazOn on polka dotted paper from the Palette O' Prints collection in celery, rose red, saffron, and amethyst. I cut out the petals and adhered them to a piece of shimmery white cs, which I stamped with the dotted trail image from the Little Lady set by PaperTrey Ink. Next I added the center, which is half of a 1" circle punched from black cs. I added a portion of the sentiment, also from the Little Lady set, and matted the main image panel onto black cs. Next I punched 1" circles from each of the colors of cs and placed them around the card base of black cs layered with shimmery white cs on top. As a finishing touch I added some black dotted organdy ribbon and popped the main image up on dimensionals.

For the third card, I knew I wanted to use the Butterfly Kisses set by PaperTrey Ink. I thought it would be neat to pair the swirly butterfly with the Baroque Motifs stamp set and Brocade Background designer series paper. I used a River Rock card base and stamped it with the large flourish image in Chocolate Chip ink. Next I took a strip from the ds paper and sponged it with chocolate ink before matting it onto shimmery vanilla and chocolate cs. I attached three aged copper brads to the bottom of the strip. Next I stamped the butterfly onto shimmery vanilla cs in chocolate ink and added the kind sentiment in River Rock ink. I punched the circle out with my mega circle punch and sponged the edges in River Rock ink. Finally, I matted the main image onto a giga scalloped circle punched from Chocolate Chip cs, which I notched the scallops of with my 1/16" punch. All cards featured today are 4.25" squares. I have not forgotten about the blog candy, I am just trying to decide what to offer! Stay tuned! *wink*

4 comments:

Donna B. said...

love your cards, esp the butterfly with baroque motifs!

Dottie K said...

These are beautiful. I really enjoy your work. I'm sorry to here about your friends mom.

texasjodylynn said...

Those are ALL gorgeous cards! NICE!

Lisa said...

These are all fabulous. I especially love the butterfly card. Great work.