A few of my favorites . . .

It is always good to go home again, isn't it? It has been two years since we were back in Chicago and it was so nice to visit with family and friends, and to revisit some of our favorite things about Chicago. Here's a quick rundown of our adventures in the Windy City.

1. American Girl Place - for my daughter, this is a mecca of sorts. This was literally our first stop after arriving in Chicago. We had been building this up for months before the trip, and Kaleigh has spent many hours browsing through the catalog and at "molly.com". She used some of her own money to make the all important purchase, and mom and dad chipped in for some accessories and a few gifts for her upcoming birthday. It was wonderful to see her eyes light up when she gave Molly that first real hug! Awwwww! Afterward, we stopped in at Garrett's Popcorn (a true Chicago legend) and had lunch at Water Tower Place in food life - another of our faves!


2. Marshall Fields - I have very fond memories of their flagship store on State Street in downtown Chicago, and although they are now owned by Macy's, the Marshall Fields plaques and clock still adorn this landmark building. When I used to work downtown I would pass by Fields every day. I even have a replica of the Marshall Fields cow from the popular citywide art display that once spanned the streets of Chicago. When I was younger I used to visit with my grandparents and I remember those lunches in the infamous Walnut Room with joy. I am still addicted to those luscious Frango mints, and can almost taste them melting away in my mouth! Isn't amazing how just a few pictures can evoke all those memories?



3. Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs!) - I was raised a Cubs fan, and will *always* be a Cubs fan! My grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, and cousins are all Cubs fans. Ours is a difficult task, because the life of a Cubs fan is seldom joyous and full of disappointment. Still, we are tried and true, loyal to the end! May the spirit of the great Harry Carry watch over us! Chicago-style hot dogs, peanuts, yelling 'til your throat gets sore, uncomfortable seats, almost getting hit by a foul ball, and the seventh inning stretch are all in a days work. Afterward we walked a mile and a half for one of the best pizzas known to man - Chicago-style deep dish, sausage patty from Gino's East! No, the Cubbies didn't win, but a great time was had by all!!!


4. Brookfield Zoo - while technically not *in* Chicago, this has been one of my favorite places to visit since I was a little girl. I have spent many hours in the underwater viewing area for the dolphins. My family would literally abandon me there and come back a few hours later to retrieve me - lol! We were members of the zoo for a long time, and after my daughter was born I resumed that tradition. One of our favorite times of year there is October when we would visit for "Boo at the Zoo", a Halloween celebration. And although it was freezing on the particular day we visited, it was great to be there again as a family!


5. Friends and Family - This is the main reason anyone goes home, isn't it? We had a fabulous time catching up with our loved ones and I wish we could have stayed for another week! This is my former neighbor, sideline, and friend Toni (TSizemore) with whom I spent most of the day Saturday shopping! She keeps teasing me because she spent more than I did at every store we hit! Well, I did go to one more scrap store with another friend of mine, Nicki (up4stampin2). We always have a blast on the Chatter thread on SCS, and the few times we have talked on the phone we have chatted so much that my hubby has *made* me get off the phone - lol! We have alot in common, and it was so nice to be able to shop together, chat a little, and share a hug in person! Another big part of our trip was spending time with my family. We are very close, and it is hard to be so far away. I must say that they are good at visiting though, and we do stay in touch on the phone, but it is just not the same, KWIM? OK, here we are (front to back, left side then right side): my hubby John, cousin Jeff, youngest sister Kathy, brother Andy, sister Pattie, brother-in-law Ryan, me, daughter Kaleigh, brother Matt (they are twins, *only* 15!), and Dad. My dad's girlfriend Lori couldn't join us that day, but she spent some time with us too. Well, there you have it - a not-so-brief synopsis of our trip! I hope you enjoyed viewing Chicago through my eyes! And I'll be back next week with some stamping projects, promise! *wink*

8 comments:

Alli said...

Oh my gosh, it is great to see you having fun with your friends, but it's also great to find out things I didn't know about Chicago, I only really know about the Lake and the Loop, don't know what they are just know the names, so it's great to see more.
It looks like a lovely city.

Nicki said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun memories!! And can I say it was SOOOO bright that day waiting for her DH to take our picture! LOL *squint*

Linda said...

I can certainly relate what you were saying about going back home. Like they say "there's no place like home". Glad you had a safe and happy visit.
Linda

Sherri aka sherristampsalot said...

What a fun-filled week you had!! I'm glad you got to get away and visit with your family. :)

beate said...

Great pictures. How wonderful that you had such a great time with family and friends. I am glad you are back. Can't wait what you do with all your new goodies.

Leslie Springer said...

Are you trying to get me homesick?LOL Been livin the Air force Life for all most 19 years and miss the chicago land area. Now that I have kids I can't wait to take them to brookfield zoo. Boy do I miss that zoo.Now that I just moved to Hawaii, I guess I can't complain too much!LOL

TSizemore said...

I am so glad you posted your pictures! We had such a great time shopping! Look at all that LOOT!!! It was so awesome to see you! :)

Anonymous said...

My Mom and I BOTH enjoyed your post! I clicked on your site to view the details of a recently-posted card, then saw the details about your Chicago trip and immediately clicked on the details! We were there about 3 years ago with my then-9 year and the first place WE stopped was the American Girl Store, but because it was in the evening, we just drooled at the window, knowing we'd be spending the entire next day there. Growing up on the south side of Chicago, it was unheard of to root for the Cubs, but I followed the team with the best looking players and remain a Cubs fan to this day;)! I discovered Garrett's popcorn on our most recent trip and fell in LOVE with their caramel corn; since I was a little girl we used to frequent the KaramelCorn store--to this day I remember the smells wafting from that store--yummy! I also LOVE Brookfield Zoo--what a great place to see the animals in their natural habitat. I hope the rest of the people who read your post have an opportunity to visit sometime--Chicago is a GREAT city to visit, with something to do for everyone in the family! Thanks for the memories!